Sunday, September 11, 2011

10 years

I can't remember what I was doing yesterday at this time, let alone a week ago. I can, however, remember exactly where I was 10 years ago today. I was 18, just out of high school, working full time with my Mom at her job. It was a call center so naturally everybody was able to have radios and for some odd reason, tvs, on this day. We normally didn't get to have tv's out but someone got the ok. I guess it was a blessing in disguise because they saw first hand what was going on and let all of us know. It was one of those moments where you hear the news and you stay silent for what feels like an eternity trying to process the information.

Immediately, we got out other tvs and put them all over the room, still continuing to work, mind you, taking call after call after call. We watched what was going on and many co-workers actually had family there in New York, including me. Not family I was generally close to but family, none the less. Everybody was ok but our nation wasn't.

My job actually allowed us the option to leave and go to many of the churches that were holding services that day. Normally, being a typical teenager, I wouldn't care (I know, gasp) but this time, I did. The terrorist attacks were the first major thing happened in my lifetime that I can honestly say affected me not just on a personal level but on a level of caring for others.

I left with my Mom and a few of her friends and we went to church and came home for the day just watching the news. That was my day on September 11, 2001.

Thinking 10 years later and how much has happend is amazing. September 10, 2002 I met my future husband at work. 2 years later in November of 2004 we moved to Louisiana and were in hurricanes Katrina and Rita. 2 years later on September 1, 2006 we got married and 3 years later on December 31, 2009 we welcomed twin boys into the world.

That's a crazy 10 years right there! I'm so thankful to have the life I do whether it's perfect or not. Days will be hard for our family but not as hard as other families days on 9/11. I sometimes remind myself of that around this time of year.

We will never forget!


No comments: