Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Always nice...............

We had a great memorial day weekend. We shopped, spent time outdoors, swam and had a bbq!

What was really the highlight of my weekend, though, was an encounter I had with another mom at barnes and noble. She was by herself with her older daughter, maybe 4 or 5 years old, and her younger son, coincidentally named Jaxson as well (but spelt the 'normal way'), who was 19 months.

I was by myself with the boys playing at the lego table while K was looking for a book. She was chasing her little one all over as he ran and pulled stuff off shelves, etc. She finally came over and as most strangers do, inquired how old the boys were and then gave that 'OH' reaction when I say they are twins.

She made the same general comments, 'I don't know how you do it' and 'Are you having twins again?' when seeing my big belly. I politely responded and answered her questions and she actually turned out to be one of the 'nicer' strangers.

Her son finally sat down and there was a lego tower built so I crouched down and took apart some of the blocks that were together and showed him how to throw them inside the tower. It kept him busy for a good few minutes while his poor Mom could catch her breath.

She then said to me that I sure do know all the tricks and proceeded to comment on how well behaved my kids were and how it looks like I am doing a great job with them. Little did she know I was not a stay at home Mom that worked with my kids on a daily basis on manners and that I actually worked a full and part time job.

It's little things like this encounter that can brighten my day and make me feel good as a Mom. Not only am I a first time Mom, but I'm also a first time Mom of twins. Twins that were colicky and crabby as babies but have turned out to be quite the well behaved boys compared to some children out there. They don't always listen but hey, I'm working on that.

We are almost 1/2 way through the terrible two's (as they say) and aside from the word 'NO' that they moan back at us from time to time when asked to do something, they are pretty awesome kids and I think I (and K) are doing a pretty darn good job. There will be things we will tweak with little KK when she enters our lives and hopefully I will get the same compliments with her that I do now with the boys!




No comments: